Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Toby


Exactly 14 years ago today, my hubby & I got our first baby.

I remember the date because it was a funny coincidence - we got Toby 9 months to the day after we were married. :) A little furry for a baby but we loved him just as much. I loved him so much that I actually missed a few college classes - how could you go to a boring class when you had such a cute puppy at home?? :) He was the biggest love, and was so eager to please us that he was super easy to train. I read all the puppy books and exposed him to all different kinds of people - that's when we discovered the fact that he didn't like kids. So he bit kids as a puppy and bit kids as an adult. That was his only flaw (that, and eating an entire pan of brownies which cost me $700 and a night of tears...). It's so funny because he was the perfect dog in every other way - so sweet, so loyal, so loving, so obedient... He loved bananas and reminded me of a little black bear. He had the softest, thickest fur I've ever felt.

Last January, at 13.5 years old, he just collapsed in my kitchen. I had a brand-new baby and an injured husband and so much going on that I was barely able to process losing Toby. So I'm thinking of you today my friend and wishing that I could scrub my hands through your super-soft black fur and see your precious little doggie face.

I love you and I miss you and I'll never forget you.

Prego Me & Toby - November 19, 2007

4 comments:

engstewart said...

I miss the Tobster as well- he was always very friendly with me and loved to have his ears scratched.

SweetmamaK said...

You never get over losing a dog- I beleive they'll meet us in Heaven though, so that gives me comfort. My Sammi Jo is getting old and decrepid right now and I hesitate to take her to the vet because I'm worried that they'll say she needs put down. She turned 12 this summer.

Barbi by the Sea said...

You made me cry all over again. I was just looking through our older picture album and the pictures of baby Toby when you and Mike brought him with you for Christmas in South Jordan. I love the one of you standing under the tree with all the snow and you are holding Toby just little black fur ball. He had such a dignity about him. Truly a gentleman dog with nothing but love showing in his eyes. He is missed, but how great to have had him as a part of your family. lv u

mom2boys said...

Very touching blog post, Squeester.