Monday, August 18, 2008

Goodbye Summer, Hello Jr. High

The blissful lazy days of summer - bare feet, late night Olympics, hanging at the pool, peacefully empty days, sleeping in... It all came screeching to a halt for us today at the insanely early hour of 6:30 am - Ryann's 1st day of Jr. High.

I was mentally prepared - I had all summer to accept the fact that my girl is almost a teenager, growing up too fast & starting Jr. High, and I was okay with all of that, excitedly looking forward to this new stage in her life. Still, I was naively unprepared to see all of the other 7th grade girls suddenly wearing make-up, the equally sudden & obvious absence of parents, or the sight of my tiny daughter walking the hallways with giant adult-sized guys... Does she really belong in this grown-up-looking world??

Kind of scary. I know I'm supposed to simultaneously hold on & let go... I know you are growing up, but you'll always be my Baby... I'm always here for you. I'm so proud of you. Enjoy this fun, new adventure!


1st Day of Jr. High - Ryann & BFF Claire

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am not looking forward to my boys getting that big. I am sure Ryann will do great. good luck!

Barbi by the Sea said...

Happy school days for Ryann. Oh, yes it is hard to see all the innocent days changed when the make-up, the hair, the clothes and the attention from the guys, becomes the primary interest of their lives and you find out how much you do not know as your teen will inform you. What fun !
Hang on for the exciting ride and enjoy. Good luck
Ryann is a beautiful girl and smart enough to avoid a lot of the pitfalls. Growing up is great too

ahollandetc said...

you are such a cute mom! i love reading your blog and the updates about you and your sweet girls. jr. high is definitely a culture shock, and from your insight, probably more on the mom than the kid! bo starts PReSCHOOL and I am already freaking out! what am I going to do with jr. high? keep the mommy thoughts coming at us...I LOVE them!

Quite Content said...

What a confident 7th grader you have on your hands. She looks so grown up. Way to go Ryann and way to go Mom! Letting go is hard but necessary. ( You'll just have to remind me of the same thing in about 10 years.)
We love you!
Erika

mom2boys said...

Good job, Ryann! I'm so proud of you!