Sunday, August 31, 2008

WHAT?! aka A Surprising Birthday...

So yesterday was my birthday. It's a pretty low-key kind of day that starts out nicely... I left Bayli with her sisters (Daddy was still crashed out upstairs) and went for an amazing massage. Bayli's such a Momma's Girl, so I was a little nervous, but so thrilled to find out that she was a happy, happy camper the whole 90 minutes I was gone. (Thanks Girls!!) I came home, showered, had the world's best pizza for lunch (Extreme Pizza's Peace in the Middle East) and hung with my Baby while my hubby took the big girls birthday shopping. So far a pretty mellow but pleasant day...
We're leaving for dinner when I get a call from my Mom, who's been inaccessible all week on a trip with my Dad. So I'm thrilled to hear from her, but have to run to not miss our dinner reservation (which I've already rescheduled once because Bay was still napping.). She asks where we're going (Biaggi's), several times, 'til finally I just spell it for her. I tell her that I'll call her back after dinner. She asks when that will be, and asks what time we are having cake. More than once. It was a little odd. I start wondering why she cares so much what time we are having cake. I say "Mom, where are you?". She says "At home". Okay. My imagination. I get off the phone and we head out. But I check the Caller ID before we leave - my Mom called from her cell.
In the car, I say "I think my parents might have come out to surprise me for my birthday..." My Mom is acting crazy and the last time she acted like this my brother & sister-in-law were 20 minutes from my house, coming out for a surprise Christmas visit. We talk about it all through dinner. Literally every 90 seconds my hubby looks towards the entrance and says "And there they are!" (Poor Madi was jumping out of her seat with excitement every time...) I call my brother to say "Where's Mom?", knowing that I'd know from the instant of awkward silence, but no answer. I can't help a tiny leap in my heart that he's here too... Mike says "Oh, they came out too!" I say "They're probably at the grocery store". I have to tell my kids not to get their hopes up, that I could be totally wrong, but I'm thinking I know my Mom and she's here...
Long story, I know...
We drive home, looking for my parents. We turn on our street and look towards the house - sure enough, there's my parents' van with the Oregon license plate and my Mom is standing on the curb! As we are pulling up, she jumps in the van and they start driving away! We honk at them, but they keep going, so of course, we follow them! What are they doing? My Dad drives around the block with us behind them, laughing. Mike says "How many people are in the car?". I look - just two. So thrilled that my Mom & Dad would come all this way for my birthday!! So my Dad gives up the chase and pulls up along the curb next to our house. We drive past to pull in the garage when the side door opens and out pops my brother's excited face! I scream & jump out of the car. I'm in tears. Truth be told, it's been a rough week for me. I needed this. I'm so touched that my whole family is here just for my birthday. We all jump out - hugs, laughter, cameras flashing - my family getting a huge kick out of my surprise, my brother documenting the whole thing. So surpised. So happy.
Still more..
Me: Mom, you are not a good liar!
Mom: I didn't lie about anything. I told you we were going on a trip.
Me: Yeah, but I asked you where you were and you said "home".
Mom: I am home.
Me: MY home.
Mom: No, I'm home.
Me (thinking, mi casa, su casa): Okay. That's sweet.
Mom (to Dad): She still doesn't get it.
(to me): We're HOME.
Me: silence
Me: What?
Mom: Honey, we're home.
Me: more silence, brain racing furiously...
You're moving back?
Mom: We've moved.
Me: WHAT??!!
Everyone is laughing at me, Eric is literally videotaping my amazement (after all, this is what he came here for), I am trying to wrap my brain around what I'm hearing...
Here's the scene shortly afterwards...
I still can't believe it! My parents haven't lived here for 17 years. I see things that have made me sad for a long time disappearing - 7 missed recitals, countless birthday parties, quiet Grandparent's Days at school, lots of firsts, girls' days out without Mom... I still can't believe it! In my 38 years so far, the most surprising birthday yet....
Now if I could just get my brother to move here...

7 comments:

the watkins said...

Wow, that is so exciting! What an amazing birthday. I bet it will be so nice to have your parents there.

engstewart said...

Once Erika gets her blog updated, you ought to go to her blog and see the video of Heidi's reaction... classic.

We love you Heidi! We're so happy we were here to share this special day with you... :)

SweetmamaK said...

That just made me cry! How wonderful for them and you and the girls and Mike. How close are they? I tell you I'm so glad we've only been 250miles or less from parenst since we've been married. They rarly miss anything. These last two years being 15 miles from Rob's family has been a dream come true-- but this isn't about me, it's about you- so congrats!!!! And how fun that your brother and his cute wife were there to help out!

Unknown said...

WHAT???? Jon's calling melba right now, i can't believe it. that is so awesome since we were just talking about how much you miss her. you are lucky and so are your kids. have fun and have an exciting birthday year with your mom & dad there now. I'm jealous, I wish my mom would do that. say hi and send my love to all of you.

mom2boys said...

My Squeester is such a good blogger/journaler. I bet it's all those Bollywood movies you watch - see, your devoted movie watching, rewinding, and note taking is paying off!! I can't wait to see the Bollywood-style music video you're going to make about the event : )

Jessica said...

That is awesome. I wish my family would do something like that, even a 10th of that. That's so sweet.

Barbi by the Sea said...

You want a comment? Hey! I was there remember? There are just not enough words to describe the fun and anticipation we have had in planning those 5 seconds of surprise. You do a great job of recording and journaling your event and that makes it so fun for everyone to share that moment in time again and again. Thanks for being a super trooper to have your whole family just "land" in your front yard. Wish we could do it all again. Love you bunches and and muches. momma