Friday, July 25, 2008

Distress!


Despite a couple of books from Ryann & my brother-in-law, I had nothing I was excited about reading, and still a couple of weeks to go before Breaking Dawn... I can't live without a good book! I had noticed a lot of you loved this one, so even though it's not the kind of book I usually read, I picked it up out of desperation. When I was packing for Utah, this book was the smallest and consequently won it's way into my bulging suitcase... I was hooked as soon as I started!! I really didn't remember much about Anne Boleyn, so a little more than halfway in, I stupidly decided to check her out on wikipedia to see how historically accurate the book is. Why did I do that?? I was totally distraught to discover that Henry had her beheaded!! So harsh!!
I am still loving the book and almost done. I feel like I can totally relate to Mary's longing for a simple life just raising her children. I can't wait to get the dvd and see if they did the book justice. I will definitely read another book by Phillipa Gregory - thanks to everyone who mentioned it! :)

5 comments:

4Girls4Me said...

You're funny. I'd like to try that book, it sounds kind of like Martin.

SweetmamaK said...

I loved this- after I read it I checked out some non-fiction books about the time period. It was real interesting- Enjoy the read, it was so hard for me to put down.
Breaking dawn will be here in a week!

4Girls4Me said...

I couldn't put it down either & when I had to, I was always thinking about it - my favorite kind of book! I finished it last night! I can't wait to get the dvd!

the watkins said...

I loved the book as well, and totally went through a historical fiction reading craze.

I didn't love the movie, but with such a detailed book it would be hard to make it perfect. Let me know what you thought.

4Girls4Me said...

I watched the movie over the weekend and totally hated it! I couldn't believe how bad it was. Books are always better than the movies, and that never works anyway - watching the movie immediately after reading the book when everything is still fresh in your mind. I understand that they have to leave things out, but I hate it when they change things. Skip the movie, just read the book!